Blog Archive

Monday 23 April 2012

End of half term

I found these pictures and realised I had not finished the half term blog. These pictures were taken in Sokolniki park - a sokol is a falcon (as in Sokol village) and in days gone by this was a forest for hunting. It is now a large community park with exhibition spaces and lots of other attractions for summer and winter. These first photos are of Moroz or Ice City and were a collection of ice sculptures.

Around the world crazy golf

Mine's a large one - an ice bar

You can lie on it if you like but it's too chilly for me.

A bridge made of ice




Standing by a brazier. Mulled wine and pancakes were being sold around the warming fire. It was still Maslentisa week so there were lots of treats to buy.


I believe these scarecrows were going to be burned the next day as part of the lenten celebrations but I am not sure. I need to read up on it and find out more.

The three next photos are of the ballroom dancers. The snow had been compacted but not cleared and couples were dancing to piped music. It was lovely to watch and very dignified.




This slide was terrifying. You hire a large mat, climb up and set off, shooting off the end and travelling at high speed another 50 or so metres. Children and adults were doing it - bigger people hiring two mats. Wouldn't be allowed in the UK - health and safety.


The ice rink - there a several tarmaced roads in the park and some have been deliberately flooded to make a huge ice rink. This part was around a roundabout. There were skates to hire if you didn't have your own.

This year I saw lots more ice rinks - there was a very attractive one round the trees near the tram at Voykovskaya, but I never had my camera with me or my hands were too full.

And so the winter started to come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment