Blog Archive

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Plyos, Uglich and Kolyazin

Before I begin to try and finish this blog about the trip my apologies for taking so long. I just got back to school when I went down with a hideous tummy bug - no details needed - and landed myself in bed. A week later, a visit from the doctor and I am on the mend and back at school.

So to continue.....
Plyos is a tiny community on the bank of the River Volga. Most of the houses are one storey wooden homes with the same wonderful carved window frames. It is is hanging on - just and money is now being spent to bring it up to modern standards. It is becoming an important stopping place on the Volga cruises. It is also famous for being the inspiration for the painter Levitan. No I had not heard of him and Peter and I skipped through an exhibition of his at the Tretyakov.

Look at the top of the downpipe and the lovely carving on the end of the wall.

The church still needs some work.

Not my style but......

Clinging on for survival

Ann and Steve Riddle

Yes we did go on holiday together.
It was a quaint place to visit, but I wonder if it's charm will be lost in 'modernisation'.

And so we climbed aboard the bus and took the long journey back to Yarouslavl and dinner. Most of us caught up on some much needed sleep.

Next morning saw us looking at one more church. It is unusual because it is made of red brick and is decorated with local tiles. It was rather dilapidated but had some charm. Sadly people have tried to lever off tiles but they are actually made as part of the bricks and are integral to the building.



And so we set off for the last part of our trip to Uglich. Though still on the Volga it is not part of the Golden Ring. However, it was still interesting. Here is the remains of the church of Dimitri of the blood - it is where the son of Ivan the Terrible was killed to prevent him inheriting the crown. There were some beautiful wall paintings.





Lantern

What a beautiful door


These gentlemen sang for us - Ave Maria and the Volga boatmen - wonderful

Waiting for lunch underground

A very stylish hydro powerstation

And so to our final stop to Kolyazin. A sad little place because, to make the above power station work, part of the village was flooded to create the resevoir with just the bell tower standing above the water.




And so our weekend away came to an end. We joined the thousands of Muscuvites who make the journey each week during the summer. It was a long drive but we had learnt a lot, met some interesting people and learnt a little more about this frustrating and beautiful country.

I think I have got all the pictures attributed to the correct places and the right name. If I have made any mistakes my apologies. They are not my pictures - many thanks Ann for getting me out of a very large hole - and we saw so many churches it is easy to get confused. The Golden Ring - the ABC of Russia - Another B... Church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment