Blog Archive

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Catching up

Oh dear I find it is nearly three weeks since I last posted. We have been pretty quiet here, but one or two thinks have been happening.

I said last time that I had been to VDNKH with Diana but I didn't post any pictures. Looking through my unsorted photos I realised I had some interesting ones after all. There is a big wheel not far from the entrance which is slow moving for sight seeing. Here are some pictures I took of the park and views of Moscow. I had to take them through glass so not the best.
The big wheel


Behind the peasant girl and worker statue

Ostankina tower

first pavilion


In the distance

Sand sculptures are popular here in summer as ice ones are in winter. This one of Romulus and Remus was one side of the main path.




Not all of the pavilions are open all the time, but we had the opportunity to go into the domed pavilion which I think used to hold the weather station. On this day it was being used by people selling plants as the growing season had just started. Inside it was very dilapidated but some of the structure was still impressive. What do you thinik?



I found this pavilion which I had not seen before. I love the carving of the teapot.


At the end of my first week back we had a talent show. I was amazed at the things children do here. We had several very confident pianists and dancers. Here are the children from my class. I was very proud of them.

Ela

Vanya

Jun demonstrating Tae Kwon Do

Matylda amazed us with her confidence doing magic tricks. Dad had helped her and she was brilliant.

Seyoon was very happy to play the violin.

Lisa, Johanna and Anna do gymnastics together and enter competitions. They came complete with costumes, music and glitter. Hair was already done!!

Now that choir has finished for the season Peter and I are getting out and about, often on Sunday after church. We have been tram and bus riding as a way of seeing more of the city without having to walk miles. One of our first was from Chistie Prudy to Univeristat. Unfortunately the tram was hit by a car and the journey curtailed. However, we went past the Danilovsky monastery, so a week later we decided to pick up the journey there and try and finish it.


Chapel for holy water

St Simeon Stylite gate church

The head quarters of the Russian Orthodox church is based here and these are some of the offices.

One of several towers - the monastery was originally built fortified. 
More offices (I think)



Wall paintings

One of the thingsthat alwyas amazes me about Moscow is how different styles of building can be so close in one street. Some can be really elegant with a horrible sixities build right next door. Take a look at these. They were next door to one another in a back street in Chistie Prudy.


Typical Soviet building

Statue on the building next door

A very elegant building

And this is what it is used for!!!

Well that has caught us up for a bit. A few stray photos to come but I am sure you have all had enough for now. We have a concert at church for the children's hospital burns unit, hopefully a food festival to have a look at, end of year bash at school and the choir picnic at Irina's. Then to finish the term Mum is coming for a week!!  Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment